Text Box:      In July 1952, a small group of interested persons met with the District Superintendent (Reverend Holyrod) at the home of Eva Lou and Bentley Hines on Summit Drive to consider the organization of a Methodist Church in this area.  On Sunday morning October 5, 1952, the organizational Meeting was held at the Summit Drive School and Northside became a reality.  The first Sunday School session was held on Sunday, October 19, 1952.  Church services and Sunday School sessions, along with other meetings, were held in the hall areas of Summit Drive School.  The name Northside Methodist Church was chosen at a meeting on October 8, 1952, with about 60 or 70 people in attendance.
     Dr. B. Rhett Turnipseed was assigned by the South Carolina Methodist Conference to guide the development of our new church from 1952 - 1956.  The first building, The B. Rhett Turnipseed Memorial Chapel, which included eleven Sunday School rooms was completed in 1954 and the membership had grown to 255.  The Sanctuary, and additional classrooms,  were completed in Spring, 1962, and the first worship service was held on Easter Sunday, April 22.  Since that time, Northside has continued to grow in service to the community and to many other areas of service in God's work.
     We are proud of our heritage, mission, and outreach.  The warm fellowship that we all enjoy as we serve Our Lord is special to all of our members and visitors.
 
Text Box: Northside United Methodist Church
435 Summit Drive
Greenville, SC 29609
(864) 233-8359 Church Office

                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 

 

 

 

 

Home Page

Brief History

Newsletter

Contact Us

Locate Us

 

 

 

 

 

 

          
             Pastor
Rev. Elizabeth Thompson